 Robotics / 22463
Re: How about battery charecteristics?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 19:45:10 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

a discussion of what the voltage/current limitations (and lifetimes)
of the various battery boxes are.

The real question is this: How many 9v boxes must you connect in parallel to
provide the same "power" as 6 AAs?

   Or (from the standpoint of sumo) provide enough current so that the RC motor
is not current-limited by a measly 9v battery. There's the related question of
the total power (amp-hours, or similar units) in each of these different battery
types, and I'm again confessing ignorance. I was actually limited this weekend
by battery strength, which was a first for me. I can see it happening even
faster with the RC motors.

PS - watching 8 lbs of Lego smash together at a relative speed
of better than 1 ft/sec can be an interesting experience...

Rough calculations show ONE of those robots could go over
2.5 ft/second...

   Yeah, but only if it had the time to get up to speed. Your 'bot was still
*visibly* accelerating as it left the ring, suggesting that (and this is an even
scarrier thought) it never even had time to reach top speed.
   I'm still having flashbacks of some of those encounters.

My favorite part of the day was watching that piece fly off a robot and over
John's head, when he was standing several feet from the ring.

   And realizing it was part of my robot - in the process of falling out of the
ring, you nearly won by dissassembling my 'bot onto the floor before you fell
completely off. Now *that* was not a strategy I'd thought of before.

The saddest part was when that 1/2 bushing fell off Aaron's robot and slowly
rolled all the way across the ring, and onto the floor, just before he could
push his opponent off.

   That was heartbraking. But watching you fanning your battery boxes to cool
them down made me feel better ;-).

--
Brian Davis