 Robotics / 22461
22460  |  22462
Subject:
How about battery charecteristics?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 15:54:41 GMT

   Philippe has done an outstanding job on his motor comparison page:

http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

But now I find yet another (apparently) unanswered question. Recently at a sumo
event my robot was, um, how shall I put this... "exposed" to a monster running
multiple 5292 motors from AA battery boxes. This was impressive as all getout -
a good match lasted a whooping 3 seconds on a 4' sumo ring (with 4 lb 'bots),
and the designer should be justifiably proud at the result. But related issue
ended up in a discussion of what the voltage/current limitations (and lifetimes)
of the various battery boxes are. Yes, I realize 6 AA's pack more power than one
standard 9v battery, but what is the maximum current draw from 6 AA's vs 1 9v?
Does anyone know what the maximum *sustained* current (& it's corresponding
voltage) is that these battery boxes can handle before the thermal protection
cuts in? I suspect that with current draws up in the multi-amp range (5292
motors, remember), the voltages are significantly below the rated 9v as well due
to internal resistance, but I've not got the equipment (or, for that matter, the
battery boxes) to test this.
   Any ideas? *Somebody* must have looked at this, but Lugnet serches have
turned up little.

PS - watching 8 lbs of Lego smash together at a relative speed of better than 1
ft/sec can be an interesting experience... if you do not own, or have to
rebuild, the 4 lbs that is yours after the event. Very impressive.

--
Brian Davis