 Robotics / 22426
    spybot —Thomas Jollans
   what can spybot do on the hardware side (output ports, built-in motors, power settings of motors, active/passive sensor ports, built-in sensors....)? Is the firmware replacable? What interface to the PC is used? (IR/RC...) can it communicate with (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: spybot —Steve Hassenplug
     (...) Thomas The Spybot is not expandable in any way (hardware or software) as far as I/O ports. It has 2 motors, 1 light sensor, and 1 touch sensor (all built-in). The firmware is not replaceable. It communicates with a PC via a serial cable. It (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: spybot —Mark de Kock
     (...) Actually, it is a USB cable and the communication at the Spybot-end is done via light signals. It looks a little like the computer and Spybot talk morse with blinking lights instead of sounds. (...) But even with it being 'just that', you (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: spybot —Steve Hassenplug
      (...) Cool. I didn't know they made them with USB, also. The three I have all use serial cables. The "blinking lights" is the VLL (visible light link), which could be used by other devices to communicate with the Spybot. And, I agree, they are more (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: spybot —Juergen Stuber
     (...) Are you sure? Mine is serial, and AFAIK all Spybots use the serial interface. Jürgen (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: spybot —Joseph Woolley
   Two interesting things not mentioned yet or explained: The spybot has an eeprom region. You can store data there between sessions. For instance, the spybot identity... allows you to number each of the spybots that you have so they can tell each (...) (20 years ago, 24-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)