 Robotics / 2234
2233  |  2235
Subject:
Interface to Basic Stamp microcontroller update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 07:19:02 GMT

    I had a couple nibbles on the Basic Stamp mailing list concerning using
that as an expansion to the RCX, and the thinking is summarized as follows:

    1)  Using a "raw" microcontroller such as the Microchip PIC 16F84 is
cheaper, but there is the issue of software compilers unless you want to
learn assembler.  There are several off the shelf compilers available for
these, but they all come with a cost.  In addition to the chip itself, you
still need some glue chips such as EEPROM and what not.
    2)  A Basic Stamp 1 is $34 and a BS2 is $49, I think, but that is all
you really need.  Software is free, you can make your own programming cable,
and there is lots of support online.  I like the BS2 better for a couple
reasons that I won't explain here.  With the stamp, you can drive servos
directly, turn on LED's, and with assorted devices readily available, drive
motors of high current, run LCD displays, serially communicate, etc.  Also
available are real time clocks, A/D converters (the stamp has a simple
method of creating an analog output and can measure resistance for some A/D
conversions already,) and a host of other things.  The manufacturer went out
of their way to create a smashingly simple to use device that darn near
anyone with at least a 286 computer can use (believe me, I used my 286!)
The BS1 has 8 programmable I/O ports, and the BS2 has 16.  They can be
changed from input to output on the fly, which means that it is a breeze to
use Lego sensors such as light sensors and rotation sensors.  By the way,
there is even a RF module set that you could use to operate the RCX from
your PC if you wanted.  You can learn more about all this stuff at
http://www.parallaxinc.com/company/

    The IR port is the simplest way to go that will allow any user to simply
"snap" on the expansion module without having to modify any plastic parts.
RCX code or any other software will have no problem monitoring the IR port
for communication, and RS-232 is built in to the stamps already, for those
who want to go that route.
    Adrian, please correct me if I have mistated anything!