 Robotics / 22131
RE: Lego & BHC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:24:26 GMT

Jim,

Blindfold yourself and have someone explain building instructions for a
set you've never done.  Don't worry about color (at this point).  Video
tape the ordeal.

Each LEGO piece shape is unique, and can therefore be identified.  Use
Ldraw parts list names for uniformity.  The inventory of many sets can
be searched on www.peeron.com/inv to make part listing easier.

- Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Choate [mailto:ravage@einstein.ssz.com]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 11:27 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Cc: hangar18-general@open-forge.com; hell@einstein.ssz.com;
open-science-general@open-forge.com; 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Lego & BHC

Hi,

As part of my work within the framework of Hangar 18 I'm
working on some projects related to "Blind and Haptic
Computing", in particular we're looking at blind developers
of Lego Mindstorms and what they need. As part of that I
realize that we need a mechanism to describe Lego robots
non-visually so that two different visually impaired
developers build the same bot from the same description. This
must be compatible with useage on/by a computer.

Anybody know of any standards or work in describing
mechanisms with the epxress intent of aiding blind developers
(I'm thinking of mechanical goals here and not traditional
computing work)? Anybody done any work with traditional Lego
models and the non-visual community? Every heard of a blind
mechanical engineer?

I'm utterly ignorant in this field and trying to get a toe hold.

Thanks.

-- --

Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, &
Game Consoles
512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)  help@open-forge.com  irc.open-forge.com

Hangar 18  Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
512-451-7087  http://open-forge.org/hangar18  irc.open-forge.org

James Choate  512-451-7087  ravage@ssz.com  jchoate@open-forge.com