 Robotics / 22051
Re: Uhmm... coincidence, or no?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:50:39 GMT

Mark Tarrabain wrote:

LEGO came out with a a Mindstorms set called "Exploration Mars" the
same year that Mindstorms itself came out.

Wasn't that because the Sojourner robot was out and about on Mars
at about that time?   I also had some vague recollection that someone
involved in the NASA robot had worked on Mindstorms....I could be
wrong about that part though.

Lego Mindstorms' ActiveX control is called SPIRIT.OCX.

NASA's latest Mars rover is named Spirit.

Well, according to the Discovery channel documentary, even the team
who built the rover weren't told what it was going to be called until
the day it was launched...so I don't think Lego were in the know.

Come to think of it, didn't NASA choose the name from a bunch of names
sent in by school children?

Did you see that photo of the crater that Spirit is trundling round in?
When the light hits it from the right direction, it looks just like an
email smiley  :)   ...now tell me *that* is a coincidence!

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net