 Robotics / 21909
21908  |  21910
Subject:
Pneumatic valve mystery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:27:12 GMT

I am a novice robot builder and programmer who needs some help with a random
problem that affects a pneumatic system I have built.

I want a general purpose basic pneumatic system that can be programmed to use
any of the three positions of the pneumatic valve.  I modified the Brian
Alano valve control design by adding a revolving drum (I think Lego calls it a
"round brick") that hits a touch sensor as the valve moves between the three
positions.  Details are at
http://home.comcast.net/~firstcoolbreeze/Pneumatic/PneuValve.htm

I suspected that there may be some accumulated error in the hardware so I
devised a test that would run the valve between the positions hundreds of times
and perhaps gather some useful information along the way.

My problem is a mystery behavior where the system misses a command.  This has
happened on the very first cycle;  the most cycles without the mystery
behavior is 129.  It appears to be random.

I have tried various debugging tricks with sounds and the LCD display and
cannot pinpoint the cause of the failure.  I would appreciate any advice from
more experienced builders/coders on whether my problem is with the hardware or
software.  The hardware is a bit of a kludge, since I wanted to test the basic
technique before rebuilding it.  I think I can make it more compact and easier
to see in photos, and will try that route while awaiting comments.

Thanks.

Walt White
firstcool@aol.com