 Robotics / 21528
Re: 9747 (RIS 1.5) comes with 2.0 RCX brick?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:13:26 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Steve Baker) writes:
Wessel Burgers wrote:

I opened a new 9747 (RIS 1.5) today and was slightly
surprised to find a 2.0 RCX brick inside.

The only difference between a 1.5 and a 2.0 RCX is the
sticker that says "2.0".  Only the 1.0 RCX is a little
different (it has an external power socket).

I don't think there is an RCX 1.5, there are different RCX 1.0 from RIS 1.0
(with AC-adapter) and from RIS 1.5 (without, I have two).
As far as I understand (I have no first-hand experience) the only
practical difference is that the RCX 2.0 IR is capable of communicating
with Spybots and Manas.  Software-wise they are identical.

However, there are lots of differences between the RIS 1.5
and RIS 2.0 sets (the software, the technics parts, the IR
tower, the packaging and the booklets all changed between
1.5 and 2.0).

You exagerate.  The only extra part is a thick optical fiber, and the
booklets are almost identical, except for the cover and parts list which
lists this extra part.  Packaging is also very similar.

Has anyone any clue how this can be?

Probably the factory ran out of 1.5 stickers before they
ran out of 1.5 software, booklets, packaging, etc.

Probably they ran out of 1.0 RCXs, so they put in an RCX 2.0 .
BTW, mine don't have stickers, the numbers are printed on.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/