 Robotics / 21515
Re: RIS 2.0 USB Tower on a Mac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 01:49:22 GMT

In article <8234440.1068068258688.JavaMail.edwin.exe@mac.com>,
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Edwin Quan) wrote:

I am fairly new to Lego Mindstorms so forgive me if I end up beating a dead
horse.  I have a RIS 2.0 kit which, as you all know, comes with the USB
tower.  I plan on using MacNQC to code.  Is it possible to do everything
(code and transmit finished code to the USB Tower so it can upload to my RCX)
without a PC?  I was told that I can code using MacNQC but then I would have
to transfer that code to a Windows machine, then upload that code from the
Windows machine to my RCX.

If this isn't true, what more do I need (aside from MacNQC) to move data from
my Mac to my RCX via the USB tower?  I really don't want to spring the few
hundred dollars on a PC unless I have to.  Thanks in advance.

As long as you are using OS X you'll be fine.  NQC includes its own
driver code for working with the USB tower under OS X.  For Mac OS 9.x
you'll need to install a driver from Lego.

You'll also need to download firmware to the RCX.  MacNQC can take care
of the actual download process but you'll need to provide the file
separately (it is copyrighted Lego software so I could not bundle it
with NQC).

You shouldn't need a PC for any of this.

There's more info (somewhat dated) on using a Mac with Mindstorms,
including links for obtaining firmware, at
http://www.baumfamily.org/lego/macmind/index.html

Dave