 Robotics / 21341
  replacement for IR-communication

Hello ! I'm trying to replace the IR - communication interface of the RCX by a bluetooth module, because IR is too slow for my application ( navigation system with real - time transmission). The only way I can connect the RCX to the module is via (...) (21 years ago, 29-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: replacement for IR-communication

that's not really hard .... Tx is the IR del ans Rx is the TSOP 1838 ... For tsop there is a GND, +5V and data (here Rx, see datasheet to know which pins use) There is no over pin to use cause you can send only one data by this way .... nanobapt (...) (21 years ago, 29-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: replacement for IR-communication

If it is so easy to change the send/receive method on the RCX, why hasn't someone already done it? My thought was to figure out how the Cybermaster RF components could be used on the rcx instead of the RCX's IR. I would absolutely love to see (...) (21 years ago, 29-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: replacement for IR-communication

We have done this. That is retro-fitted an RCX with a bluetooth module. It involves hardware hacking the RCX, which will "void the warranty". Don't do it unless you can afford to completely break your RCX, and can afford a spare! Can I ask, are you (...) (21 years ago, 7-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics)

That seems like a very expensive solution. Isn't there a cheaper way? Also, could there be an internal solution (keeping everything inside the RCX and tower)? Rob "Mike Reddy" <mreddy@glam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:HMDouD.Dww@lugnet.com... (...) (...) (21 years ago, 9-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: replacement for IR-communication

(...) Yes it is expensive, but we weren't paying 8-P However, if you consider that we needed to run up to 8 Mindstorms robots in a 5m square sandpit, each with wireless video and control from separate computers, IR is right out. And RF modems, etc (...) (20 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)