 Robotics / 21318
Re: lego-robotics / question for the experienced...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:23:33 GMT

In article <09E68B3A-E5B2-11D7-BBA9-000393ACAB14@earthlink.net>,
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Ed) wrote:

hi all.  first post here.  i'm sure this doesn't happen often, but my
reason for buying the ris 2.0 system is because a friend told me it'd
be a fun intro to computer programming.  as i eagerly await shipment of
my kit, i'd like to pick your brains for some tips.  should i jump
straight into NQC (my programming background is little to none) or
should i play with the lego programming environment at first?  are
there sample robots designed with the purpose of learning programming
in mind?  has anyone had success stories in learning the basics of
computer programming using an ris kit?  thanks for the time.

For people who have already done a little programming (especially in
Java or C), NQC is very easy to pick up.  However, NQC isn't a good
first langauge.  The problem is that you're trying to learn two things
at once: how to break an idea down into simple steps for the RCX, and
how to express those steps in NQC.  For the novice, the constant syntax
error messages from the NQC compiler can be very frustrating.

With a graphical programming system (such as the Lego RCX Code
software), there aren't any syntax errors.  You drag blocks around,
stack them up, enter different parameters, etc.  This is a great way to
learn how to translate your ideas into simple RCX commands.  After a
while you may find that RCX Code is a bit cumbersome and/or limited, and
then you can move to something more advanced such as NQC.

Most of the projects in "Definitive Guide to Lego Mindstorms" include
both RCX Code and NQC programs.  Looking at the two different versions
side by side can be a good way to learn NQC once you're comfortable with
RCX Code.  You don't need to buy the book itself - all of the sample
programs can be downloaded from http://www.apress.com.

Dave Baum