 Robotics / 21305
Re: which would you choose?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:33:05 GMT

"JJ Harrison" <lizner2002@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
I am trying to decide which i should get out of the following two options. I
am asking for some opionions as to which you would get and why:

RIS 2.0 Builders Kit (Contains RIS, Ultimate Builders Set and Ultimate
Accessory Kit)
Back Hoe (Mainly for the ton of pnumantics stuff)
Technic Styling pack
Technic Gear Wheels
Technic Cross Axles

<homer simpson>
Mmmmm, Back Hoe.
</home simpson>

Lots of funky pneumatics stuff in the Back Hoe, great for making
manually operated robots and cool technic models. You'll never control
all that pneumatics with the 3 outputs of the RCX though, with one RCX
you'll generally use two for drive and have one more for a function
(grabber, lifter, shooter or whatever). Better for pretty robots or
working, but not fully robotic, models. If your focus is more technic
than robotic then this may the way to go.

RIS 2.0 Builders Kit (Contains RIS, Ultimate Builders Set and Ultimate
Accessory Kit)
+ RIS

Better for 'bot building. You'll have 6 outputs (though "only" 5
motors) and be able to network the two RCXs together for bigger, more
complex bots or make pairs of bots that fight or follow each other.
Fewer bits to make your bots, but simplicity is often the best way for
building bots. I have more fun with the programming stage and watching
my bots go and do their thing so I tend to build fairly simple chassis
that just get the job done.

Tim