 Robotics / 20796
Re: Future Mindstorms Release
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 11:26:20 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:
question wrote:
Does anybody have any knowledge of the next Lego Mindstorms release? More
importantly -- will there be one? Has Lego abandoned the RCX for the
inferior, yet more marketable Spybotics product line?

All evidence points that way - regrettably.

At the Brickish Association AGM TLC's Tormod Askildsen was asked this, here is
my recollection of the response:

[Phil Case – What is the future of Mindstorms?]
Tormod – We want to keep the open-ended robotics side going – we know how
popular it is and how it is used in teaching but it has not been as big a
success as it could be and it is expensive.  We are researching a new system
that may or may not be compatible with the old one.
[Phil – Will it go more towards Spybotics?]
Tormod – No, that’s different.  We know more about what users do in this
sector/theme than any other and are committed to keeping the open-ended
functionality.

So I think that's somewhere in between - it's not a commitment to more RCX
development but it is a recognition that Spybotics is not what we are after.

Simon