 Robotics / 20597
Re: IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 03:21:29 GMT

IrDA does not use a carrier wave, whereas CIR (Consumer IR) does.

Communication between the two is possible by "building" an IrDA data stream
that mimicks CIR carrier wave.  IrDA can read CIR by oversampling the IR to
determine carrier frequency and baud rate.

I'm sure the LEGO products can be controlled with many learning remotes,
after all, it can be done with a Nintendo Gameboy Color
(http://home.att.ne.jp/gamma/TeamKNOx/gameboy/gb_legoe.html) and several
people have done it using learning remote software
(http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html) for their PDA's.

Personally, I've done it through the IrDA port of my PDA using the software
from pdawin.com (before they released the voice activated version).

- Rob

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Tarleton" <nickptar@mindspring.com>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: IR Tower

JanS wrote:

Does anybody know if I can use the IR tower as an IrDA link?

Jan
No. The IR tower uses a totally different raw protocol and lower • frequency.
In fact, it's closer to a remote control than IrDA. (Speaking of which, • has
anyone ever interfaced an RCX with a programmable remote or a TV?)
--
"I love deadlines. I especially love the whooshing sound they make as
        they go by."