 Robotics / 20602
Re: IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 04:49:19 GMT

Rob Limbaugh wrote:

I'm sure the LEGO products can be controlled with many learning remotes,
after all, it can be done with a Nintendo Gameboy Color
(http://home.att.ne.jp/gamma/TeamKNOx/gameboy/gb_legoe.html) and several
people have done it using learning remote software
(http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html) for their PDA's.

The SONY RM AV2100 learning remote can definitely mimic the Lego Remote
controller - I've done it.  I'm pretty sure any learning remote could do
the same thing because they all talk CCIR protocol.

Personally, I've done it through the IrDA port of my PDA using the software
from pdawin.com (before they released the voice activated version).

However, it's one thing to make an IrDA port mimic a CCIR - and *quite*
a different matter to make CCIR mimic IrDA (which is what JanS asked).
An IrDA port can be turned on and off fast enough to mimic the carrier
wave of the CCIR - but there is no way to REMOVE the carrier signal from
the CCIR to make it generate IrDA protocol.  Also, CCIR (absent the
carrier signal) is much lower bandwidth than an IrDA link.
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net