 Robotics / 20572
  IR Tower

Does anybody know if I can use the IR tower as an IrDA link? Jan (21 years ago, 10-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: IR Tower

(...) No. The IR tower uses a totally different raw protocol and lower frequency. In fact, it's closer to a remote control than IrDA. (Speaking of which, has anyone ever interfaced an RCX with a programmable remote or a TV?) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: IR Tower

(...) The IR frequency can be changed with custom firmware, but I don't know if it can be made high enough. (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: IR Tower

IrDA does not use a carrier wave, whereas CIR (Consumer IR) does. Communication between the two is possible by "building" an IrDA data stream that mimicks CIR carrier wave. IrDA can read CIR by oversampling the IR to determine carrier frequency and (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: IR Tower

I'm reasonably sure adjusting the IR carrier wave frequency would require hardware modifications. The baud rate can be adjusted. I've seen a couple posts stating that 9600bps makes the communication really picky. - Rob ----- Original Message ----- (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: IR Tower

(...) The SONY RM AV2100 learning remote can definitely mimic the Lego Remote controller - I've done it. I'm pretty sure any learning remote could do the same thing because they all talk CCIR protocol. (...) However, it's one thing to make an IrDA (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)