 Robotics / 20525
Re: ....powered caster.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 21:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Jim Scolman" <jscolman@mindspring.com> writes:
Hi All, I am working on designing a powered caster wheel.......that is a
caster wheel that has an integral Lego motor, and wheel/tire.

You may get some ideas from my page here:
http://individual.utoronto.ca/stehlik/firefighter.html
The first design shown is what you are after: a powered caster. Its probably
bigger than what you want though. The other one is an offset wheel design
that would only work with a synchro robot.

I have another design for a driven/steerable wheel for a robot I built
several years ago:
http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~stehlik/wmpics.html
Once again, this design is not terribly compact, but may offer some
inspiration. You could make it smaller by using a thinner wheel.

Unfortunately it is tough to make a powered caster really compact. If you
mount the motor to the side of the wheel as I have done, it gets pretty
wide. Or, if you mount the motor on top of the wheel, the assembly gets
really tall.

Rob