 Robotics / 20246
Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 00:19:21 GMT

Kyle McDonald wrote:

I aggree which is why I hoped someone could figure out a way to reuse
the 2x2 brick connector, and the 2 wire scheme.

Well, you could - but use two sets of wires - one for power, the other
for data.

The problem is that what's a clever idea for connecting motors (rotate
the connector 180 degrees to reverse the polarity) is a disaster for
data connections because it adds more electronics into every 'module'
to protect it against reversed current - and to make it actually work
no matter which way round with some kind of auto-detection mechanism.

Not nice.

I think a simple stereo mini-jack would work best...three wires - small,
light, standard (and therefore cheap).
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net