 Robotics / 20204
Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:40:03 GMT

Kyle

ROM-bricks with
flow-chart elements printed on them that could be stacked to build
programs...
very quickly the
physical shape, design, and mechanical funtions of the creation
start to be dictated by this growing combination of flowchart bricks.
It also has the downside of not being able to finish a program
just because you ran out of 'If/then' bricks (as an example.)

Very true.

a compromise
computer would connect to a 'bus' or communications interace
(which could be a simple as the 2 wires we use today, and which
possibly could carry both power and data.)

CAN bus? I2C bus? But that would require a third wire for power. They could
be connected with miniature stereo jacks.

blocks with motor , motor controller, an RPM/Rotation/Torque Sensor
a compass, or a sonar, or even a

Sure.

camera could directly interface to the computer block,

Hmmm. I don't see how. The data rates for pictures are too high and would
swamp the bus. And the real problem with a images is what to do with them.
I guess if you had an intelligent camera like the CMUCAM then the output is
just a few bytes per second.

The downside, (and
maybe what stopped LEGO from doing something like this) is
the programming.

Why is it different from programming the RCX? Except whenever you buy a new
block, you also get a mini CD (or do a download) which contains the
driver/interface for that block, an icon for the drag-and-drop programming
language, etc.

each motor has to
have it's own address hard coded

Each block has a unique (in the universe) ID - such as the Dallas ID chips.
When the cpu is turned on it queries who's there (I think both CAN and I2C
can do that). When the PC starts a dowload, it checks that the hardware is
as expected and if it's in doubt asks which motor you meant when you said
"the left hand tracks".

very similiar to the DCC
system used in model trains.

I suspect that the DCC system can send power and data because it only uses
low bit rates.

Peter