 Robotics / 20244
Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:39:38 GMT

John Barnes wrote:
I think an ability to retain as much "Lego" infrastructure as possible is to
be desired. Mixing and matching alien non Lego wires and connectors starts
to depart the basic simplicity of polarity independence and Lego mechical
compatibility which I think is one of the clever parts of the whole
Mindstorms/RCX scheme.

I aggree which is why I hoped someone could figure out a way to reuse
the 2x2 brick connector, and the 2 wire scheme.

If it needed to be more wires (and LEGO was doing it) I suppose they
could make a 4 wire keyed connector that onely went on one way but
that seems like a waste.

can assure you it isn't easy. If anyone knows of a single chip, preferably
less than 6x6 mm which can transceive** digital data at a respectable data
rate (>100kbps?) with a minimum of external parts (Rs, Cs, Ls etc), please
let me know!

The size thing was another reason I had picked up on DCC. The N-scale
decoders are *really* small. I don't know if they're as small as you
are describing though. Again I doubt DCC is exactly what is desired
but I thought it was an interesting technology that might be a good
example.

Someone else asked if DCC was really bidirectional, and I'm not
sure. I know almost everything except the decoder ID can be
programmed out on the live bus (aka track) for sure. I was
pretty sure I remembered the system being able to query registers
in the decoders also (not just set them) Though I don't know
at what speed this is done. I also know there are provisions for
train position sensors, which can definately be queried, but
I can't recall if that uses the same network or not.

-Kyle

--
                                    _