 Robotics / 20186
Re: Rechargeable Battery question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 01:11:10 GMT

Investigate "induction".

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Ken Hornstein wrote:

   Does anyone have any information about the rechargeable battery pacs
used in certain electric tooth brushes?  They recharge in a cradle,
without any kind of metal contact.  Does anyone know how these work,
where to get parts, or have plans for building your own?   I'd like to
build a robot that can recharge itself just by parking in a "home"
position.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks

When I looked at those before (because I was curious about them as well)
they seem to have a coil of wire in the base unit and in the toothbrush,
and it's basically a transformer.  Unfortunately you'll probably need
an AC/DC converter circuit in the robot somewhere if you go that route,
but it's certainly doable.

--Ken

Mark
(NOTE NEW PHONE NUMBERS)