 Robotics / 20002
Re: IR Tower not working when downloading firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:43:42 GMT

No! Unless you need two RCXs - and that's a different question ;)

Donwloading the firmware seems to be the most "stressful" exercise of the
tower/RCX link.

The download functions offered include a high speed mode and normal mode.
The tower and RCX can be set to long or short range. The "environment" can
be brightly lit, subdued or blacked out altogether.

In my experience, the download process pushes the link quality to the limit,
so any outside influences can have a marked affect on the success or failure.

It has been my experience that the continuous stream of data from tower to
RCX during the download process requires optimum discrimination between the
bursts of 38kHz IR and the background level of IR in the room. To optimise
the RCXs chances of correctly decoding every bit, the brightness of the
tower's IR LEDs shouldn't be too bright. Thus setting the tower (and the
RCX) to short range, not putting the RCX too close to the tower, limiting
the room illumination to subdued and choosing normal speed download, not
high speed mode, always seems to work, although occasionally it is necessary
to retry.

Retrying consists of ensuring the RCX is off, removing the batteries, and
pressing the power button. This will ensure the holding caps discharge and
all RAM data is erased.

I have not had good success loading the firmware from a Windows IDE window.

I open a DOS window and run NQC directly from the C prompt with the
appropriate parameters to run in short range,  then download at normal speed
mode.

JB

In lugnet.robotics, <dwdorn@earthlink.net> writes:
Do you think it is time to buy another set of IR tower or RCX?  If yes, what
version of the hardware/software I should look into?