 Robotics / 1992
RE: FetchBot, The Truck and patents
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:38:22 GMT

Me too!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jakob Nebeker [mailto:jakob@writeme.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 1998 9:06 AM
To: Ben Williamson
Subject: Re: FetchBot, The Truck and patents

Hey, your 'bots RULE!!  I especially liked the fetchbot, the way you
move the arm up and down AND close the claw with only one motor.  Would
you mind giving a more detailed explanation of how that works?

PV

Ben Williamson wrote:

I've just added two new robots my homepage:

        http://www.pobox.com/~benw/lego/

The FetchBot searches for dark objects to grab, lift and deposit
elsewhere.  The grabber and the arm are driven by one motor.  The
page includes an animation of the arm grabbing a block, and photos
of the gearing and cams that make it work.

The Truck is a robotic tractor-trailer vehicle with rack-and-pinion
steering.  The tractor contains sensors and the steering and • drive motors,
while the trailer carries the RCX controller and an earthmover. • The Truck
can back up in a straight line by using the sensors to determine if the
trailer is off centre.

BTW, I got some fun feedback from The Probe robot that I posted earlier,
including mail from someone who works for Digital Instruments.
Apparently they hold the patent on the technique that my robot • uses, they
just do it on a somewhat finer (nano) scale.  Sounds like a theme for a
competition: how many patents can you infringe using Lego?  :)

Hope you enjoy the new models,

- Ben.

Ben Williamson       benw@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~benw/

Purple Viking (Jakob Nebeker)   ____________________________
email: jakob@writeme.com       | the sentence below is false
ICQ  : 6245080                 | the sentence above is true