 Robotics / 19873
Re: Air transportation of RCXs etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:46:30 GMT

My laptop goes through these things all the time. I wouldn't expect
the Xray machine to harm anything in your RCX at all. Especially if
it is off.

As to whether it looks like it's a bomb, on Xray it'll probably look
more like a Walkman. I wouldn't worry much about it since once it's
yellow plastic is seen and the LCD lights up all questions should be
answered.

-Kyle

Rob Limbaugh wrote:
I don't think saying "I have something that may appear to be a bomb" is a wise idea... but it may be a good way to get your 10 seconds of fame on the news.

Perhaps FedEx is a better approach... you can ship the item to yourself and have it held at a FedEx for pickup.  Go there and pick it up and take the stuff to BW.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Gombos [mailto:gombos_2000@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 12:03 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Air transportation of RCXs etc

I think as long as nothing is on, it will be fine.  You may
have a problem
with corrupted firmware though - will there be a computer
there to upload
new firmware/programs if needed?  The radiation may flip some bits and
change everything.  I'm not sure how this would affect the ROM though.

As for transporting it - carry it on and explain to the
security guards that
a device inside the suitcase may look like a bomb.  Do this
*before* it even
gets near the conveyor belt.  When they open the suitcase up,
explain what
it is, power it on, etc.  If possible, have a simple program
ready to spin
motors or something - anything to show that it works.