 Robotics / 19871
Re: Air transportation of RCXs etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 23:34:42 GMT

My views on the subject:
If you are taking a pre-made MOC, take the whole thing in hand luggage if
possible (or mabie just the module with the RCX in it). Show it to the
security person specially (just as you might do if you were worried about
the security x-ray equipment damaging your laptop. Have the RCX programmed
ahead of time. Tell the security person "I have a piece of equipment in my
bag that might be damaged/wiped by the X-RAY machine, I want to take it out
of the bag and have it inspected specially" or something like that.

Show the security person the pre-made robot and explain that its a lego
mindstorms robot and etc. Tell them that you can show the robot in action.

Its like with laptops. If the security person actually sees the laptop boot
up and load, its probobly going to be good enough to convince them without
them needing to put it through the X-Ray machine (and risk damaging the
information stored therein)

Another thing that you can do is to take the mindstorms instruction book
with you (this applies if you are taking a loose RCX or a whole MOC). If
you show that to the security person, it might help.

Basicly, you need to first make the security person aware that the RCX is a
sensitive piece of equipment that might get damaged/zapped by the X-Ray
equipment and should be inspected seperatly (just as you would if you had
rolls of film or disks or whatever in there) then you need to show it to
them and ask that they inspect it seperatly. What happens next depends on
what the security person does. You just folow what the guard says and go
from there.

Having it shipped to you is an unnecessary expense and I sure wouldnt want
to trust an expensive RCX module and parts to some low paid postal lacky :)