 Robotics / 19828
Re: Robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 19:57:06 GMT

Hello Scott,

I'm guessing this is a grade school research project of some sort?  Sounds
like fun so sure I'll help:

Uses of Robotics

Almost everywhere - start defining what is robotics.  Some good definitions
can be found at:

http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/robotics-faq/1.html
http://www.bottabang.com/whatisrobotics.htm

I would define robotics as:

"The comination of mechanics and electronics to create machines that can
respond indapendantly to their environment."

There is a problem with this definition though, many machines that we call
'robots' are not robots by this definition.  The two that come to mind are
robots used by bomb squads and robots designed for deep sea exploration.
They don't fit this definintion because they are directly controlled by
people and not designed to act on there own.  Maybe another definition is:

"A machine designed to replace a human function."

Remember, often when when someome mentions a robot we tend to think of
machines that imitate humans like C3-PO or a robotic hand but robots come in
all shapes and sizes and mobilities.  A word that is closely tied with
robotics is 'automation'.

Robotics are used everywhere.  Some exaples are:

Industry - my area of training.  Robototics used to control manufactuing
processes.  A typical example is a car assembly line.  An exaple of a
company that uses a significant amount of automation is LEGO - how do you
think all the LEGO sets you get are complete.  Another example of robots
used in industry is Hazardous Areas where people can't go like very hot areas.

Scientific Research - like deep sea research mentioned above.

Police work - like bomb disposal mentioned above.

Pros of Robotics

Increased production
More accurate and precise production
Do not become tired or bored
Can work in areas that are dangerous or difficult for humans

Cons of Robotics

Expensive initial cost
Highly trained workers required to maintain the robots
Robots cannot think for themselves and simply follow their program

Hope that helps, let us know how you do,

Roy Nelson

In lugnet.robotics, "Scott Davis" <rcx2man@hotmail.com> writes:
For a paper I would like to talk about the uses and the pros and cons of
robotics in the world.  Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Scott