 Robotics / 19790
Re: Autonomous RCX Racing - formerly Nascar style racing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:39:35 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jeff Wood writes:
After some intense fiddeling around I have created a couple working vehicles
or autonimous racers based on the discussions a previous post.  The vehicles
handle like traditional race cars without the ackerman style steering by
having a motor powering each of the rear wheels.  The front wheels are un
linked.  I did this because I was not able to produce a vehicle with a small
enough turning radius to race on a 4x8 sheet of plywood

I am in the first stages of creating a "starter" program to be run by a PC
that will
1) stage and start the race
2) track up to 23 cars on the track by keeping their lap times and order
3) notify vehicles of place each lap
4) recognize errors
6) finish race and log times for future races

What about 5?!

I plan to acomplish this by using a serise of single byte messages  from
the RCX to the Tower and vice versa  (0-255 or 000 to 255)

Messages from the tower to the RCX will have the vehicle number (1-24)  as
the first two digits and the place as the third (car four is in third place
would be 43 or 043 car twelve in first place would be 121)  the third digit

What message would the 11th place car get?

Right off the bat, I'd say 23 cars is too many.  It won't leave any room to
move around, so they'll spend all their time bumping each other.  I'd guess
4 or 6 would be about right.  So, if the program was set to handle 10, that
should be pretty good.

Or, you could specify that '9' means 9th or above.

If you do limit it to 9 (or 10), you could send the car number, position,
and some other message to each car.

Can the RCX receive a message of 000?

Messages for the RCX would be triggered from an event from the the light
sensor over the start finsh line at the beginning of a straightaway or a
touch sensor for an overhead bar.  the rcx would transmit a single byte with
the first two digits being the racer number and the last digit being the lap
number(for error correction)

What happens if two cars cross the line together?  I think this will be the
hardest part to do with a program.  Maybe you could design it so someone
presses a key when their 'car' crosses the start/finish line.

Steve