 Robotics / 19791
Re: Autonomous RCX Racing - formerly Nascar style racing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:13:41 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jeff Wood writes:
After some intense fiddeling around I have created a couple working vehicles
or autonimous racers based on the discussions a previous post.  The vehicles
handle like traditional race cars without the ackerman style steering by
having a motor powering each of the rear wheels.  The front wheels are un
linked.  I did this because I was not able to produce a vehicle with a small
enough turning radius to race on a 4x8 sheet of plywood

Here is a link to Gus Janson's SteerBot
(http://www.lugnet.com/~726/SteerBot) which I think you will find has great
maneuverability as well as a tight turning radius (~6"). I have replicated
it several times in the past 2 months for my group's line following event.
After getting the original built, I was able to make several tweaks that
improved speed in straights but not improve turning radius (I tried but
failed to add Ackerman effect to the rack and pinion setup). The latest
version of this robot built by Gus actually has a smaller footprint and even
tighter steering setup (See this picture:
http://pix.houseofdistraction.com/2002-10-12b/4.html). All in all this is a
nice and small platform for a car steering robot, even without the Ackerman
effect. Anyway...I hope this helps you.

Jona