 Robotics / 1978
Re: sensor input mux calculations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:38:06 GMT

Rodney wrote in message ...
I was thinking about making a passive light sensor with 2 Csd components
mounted at slightly off parallel ( diverging ) and use the Light Sensor • Type
to read the left, then switch it to Touch Type to read the right element. • I
should be able to use the change in voltage to determine which element to
read.  If anyone has thought of this and made a circuit I'd greatly
appreciate it - otherwise its back to the my old textbooks.  It should be
pretty simple, my old roommate dropped out of EE - he should be able to • help

The two Sensor Types determine if the sensor needs power to be supplied or
not.   The actual reading of the sensor is the same for both modes.  You
will not be able to passively determine which CdS you are looking at.  At
least I think that is what you were looking for.  Anyway, there is a circuit
for an input mux on my page that uses the toggleing of the sensortype to
switch inputs.  That is in the "Dealing with only 3 inputs section" under
"Build an input Mux".  See:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Michael_Gasperi/lego.htm

I wonder what you plan to do with this arrangement of light sensors.  If the
sensors work together in some way it may be better to subtract their value
and provide only the differance to the RCX.  This could be made into a
sensor that would read 50 if the light was the same, 0 if the light was
totally to the left and 100 if it was totally to the right.

Mike G.