 Robotics / 19541
Re: First LEGO League competition in Cincinnati Ohio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:46:15 GMT

As a head referee for 3 of these contests this year, and many in the past, I
have to second Jeff's recommendation to volunteer for these.  You can find
them on www.legoleague.org .

Better yet, form a team and be a coach for next year.  Believe me, these
kids are working on hard problems, some that anyone here would find terribly
difficult, and therefore, worth your time.

--Jack Gregory

"Jeff Findley" <jeff.findley@sdrc.com> wrote in message
I just got back from the First LEGO League competition in Cincinnati Ohio.
I got a sweet volunteer job there.  I got to be the helper for one half of
the practice table.  The table is divided in half and each team gets one
half.  I got to time them (5 minute limit for practice sessions) and then
reset the table when they were done.

This was a cool job because it was easy to do and it was as close as you
could get to the robots in action (unless you were the judge/referee at • the
competition table.

Even though the kids were young, they did well.  The event was very kid
oriented.  WEBN, a local station, sent a DJ who did some talking (mostly
they were playing rock and roll at high volumes).

This event took over 50 volunteers to make it happen.  This was in • addition
to the volunteers who were on the teams with the kids, helping them for
weeks and months before the competition.  The volunteers even got a • T-Shirt
to wear for the day that we could take home.

If anyone here has a chance to get involved locally, please do so.  The • kids
were really excited and anything to get kids excited about science,
engineering, and computer programming is a good thing in my book (speaking
as an engineer who does nothing but write computer programs for a living).