 Robotics / 19534
19533  |  19535
Subject:
First LEGO League competition in Cincinnati Ohio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:28:28 GMT

I just got back from the First LEGO League competition in Cincinnati Ohio.
I got a sweet volunteer job there.  I got to be the helper for one half of
the practice table.  The table is divided in half and each team gets one
half.  I got to time them (5 minute limit for practice sessions) and then
reset the table when they were done.

This was a cool job because it was easy to do and it was as close as you
could get to the robots in action (unless you were the judge/referee at the
competition table.

Even though the kids were young, they did well.  The event was very kid
oriented.  WEBN, a local station, sent a DJ who did some talking (mostly
they were playing rock and roll at high volumes).

This event took over 50 volunteers to make it happen.  This was in addition
to the volunteers who were on the teams with the kids, helping them for
weeks and months before the competition.  The volunteers even got a T-Shirt
to wear for the day that we could take home.

If anyone here has a chance to get involved locally, please do so.  The kids
were really excited and anything to get kids excited about science,
engineering, and computer programming is a good thing in my book (speaking
as an engineer who does nothing but write computer programs for a living).