 Robotics / 19460
Re: On LEGO Compressors & Pump Testing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:23:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Gaurav Thakur writes:
This is probably my favorite Lego-related website out there. :) Great
article there too; I need to try that pressure test sometime.

So are the handpumps or the minipumps generally better for compressors? I am
currently building a model which uses a couple of the small pumps, but that
was mainly due to space restrictions; it might be worth trying to replace
those with handpumps and see how the model operates.

I think Soh's previous tests showed that motorizing the large hand "pumps"
(compressors) provided no extra benefit over the small pumps. This new test
by Charles Steadman (excellent work, BTW) shows that motorizing two large
hand pumps can be more beneficial than motorizing the little ones.

The trick is to use two of them, but offset 180° such "that the compression
of one spring is assisted by the expansion of the other".

Of course the larger pumps require much more space than the smaller ones.

Great work. Thanks for putting it up!

TJ