 Robotics / 19384
Re: Jamocklaquat - Spine Segment 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 01:08:50 GMT

A very concise answer, although it still seems like a miraculous piece of
engineering. I'm surprised the motor can handle so much arm weight. Thanks
for the extra pics. A side question, which may have been asked before, how
did you get so much lego?! I mean, you could build a house!

"Eric Sophie" <mylegomaster@cs.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics, Jeremy Ehrmann writes:
Ok, this may be a silly question but.....Jamocklaquat must be immensly
heavy, how do you go about giving motors enough power to actually move
elements such as the arms (from the shoulder) or the spine with the • wieght
of the body on it?

9jamocklaquat1

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/9jamocklaquat1.jpg

How high can jama lift it's Arm? Hmmm, let's see.
I ran these tests and the results show it can reach this high before
the Worm Gear makes a nice "Krrrrpack" Sound.

9jamocklaquat2
9jamocklaquat3

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/9jamocklaquat2.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/9jamocklaquat3.jpg

From the side it looks pretty good. I'd say a fair operating range.
The Arm raises at the shoulder until it encounters the shoulder support.
I estimated the point at which the system would fail, then installed the
shoulder support to use up the available room outside the upper rotation • range.
A blending of what can and cannot.

9jamocklaquat4

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/9jamocklaquat4.jpg

The Arms when moved in reverse, rotate to the same extreme. However, the • arms
encounter the shoulder support before Worm to Turntable Failure was • detected.

9jamocklaquat5

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/9jamocklaquat5.jpg

When all said and done Jamma can spine it's upper mid arm right around
behind it'self.

9jamocklaquat6

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/9jamocklaquat6.jpg

About the Spine Pivot, all the weight of the upper body falls on the Turn
Tables. They act
as the main bearing of the pivot. So if all the weight is on the pivot
point, then all you
have to do is use a fraction of the force to push on the upper body, • thusly
one motor does the job. It's not winning any races, but I tell you the
motors aren't stalling or sounding stressed. What's cool is that the spine
bends back too, not just forward but back a bit too.

8jamocklaquat1
8jamocklaquat3

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/8jamocklaquat1.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/8jamocklaquat3.jpg

I noticed a picture of the super duty worm table, but
even this runs on a single motor. Do you use weights or other such • mechanics
to take the stress off motors? Or do you use multiple motors in tandem • for a
single function?

The Super Duty Worm Table uses two motors. I plan to incorporate wheels to
act as ball bearings instead of the old Plate on Tile design - to much
friction -. I'm gonna give it a try. I've seen some of the Crane Builders • do
it I belive. So if it works Great. If not at least it can still turn at • the
waist albeit with a little help. We'll see how it goes. I just got my Blue
plate Order so I'm on it. Should be fun.

The Worm Table works on two motors. You see the motor on top there with • the
z8, it drives the z24. There is another motor just below that also drives
the z24 gear together. The motors spin in opposite polarity to drive the • gear.

BTW, awesome pictures as usual.

Thanks!

An A.I. model running from
a laptop would be neat to see as part of your creation someday in the far
off future.

With this community anything is possible! It may not be too far off!!

Thanks again!

"Eric Sophie" <mylegomaster@cs.com> wrote in message
Hey all, I snapped some more gooder mo betta Jama-rama spine pix:

Overall

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/8jamocklaquat1.jp • g

Spine Loop'd-Loo - Mechanical Spine Cam Actuation -

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/8jamocklaquat3.jp • g

Jama Eye Lights by John Barnes' hitechnicstuff.com (Thank You!!!)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/8jamocklaquat4.jp • g

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/8jamocklaquat5.jp • g

Super Duty Worm Table

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomaster/Jamocklaquat/8jamocklaquat6.jp • g

Two High RPM 9V Motors are connected with a short lead reversing the • polarity
to drive the z24 (et als) from both sides to increase the torque.
The z24 on the farside of the Worm Gear is a technique I use to keep • the
drive
axle from bowing. With out this set up the weights involved can cause • the
Worm Gear to shear right off the teeth of the Turn Table.

As soon as my order of 9V leads comes in, I'll reorganize all of Jama's • wires.

Jamocklaquat BS Gallery

Legomaster

www.mylegomaster.com

P.S. All your Blue Plates is are belong to Jama.

P.S.S. Thanks Stuart!