 Robotics / 19368
Re: Guidance, Advice, etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:51:17 GMT

Brass Tilde wrote:

1. I've seen comments about different ROMs that can be loaded to the RCX
devices.  What are the advantages and disadvantages to some of them?

Acutally that are not ROMs but firmware software. When you buy your
mindstorms set, you get a programming system from lego you can start
with. To use it, you have to download some software, the firmware, to
the RCX brick. With the original firmware by lego you can run the
original development system or get the nqc system. Nqc uses a subset of
C and compiles the sources to a bytecode the original firmware can
interpret.

In a next step, you could drop the original firmware and use some
alternate systems. You could switch to java (it is called leJos) or to
forth (called pbForth) or to brickOS (which is programmed in C). In the
brickOS system, your sources are compiled to machine code for the RCX
and run f-a-s-t, but brickOS is a lot of software and not easy to handle.

4. How much electronics to I actually need to know?

Nothing. The system is fairly easy to use. Later, you may want to build
your own sensors but there a some very good books on this topic or you
could dig through the internet.

Regards,

Michael