 Robotics / 19367
Re: Guidance, Advice, etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:48:06 GMT

In My Opinion...

In lugnet.robotics, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@insightbb.com> writes:
1. I've seen comments about different ROMs that can be loaded to the RCX
devices.  What are the advantages and disadvantages to some of them?  I
figure the easiest way to start out is to just use what comes in the box,

Yes.  Start with the standard software.  It took me about a week to move to
NQC (Not Quite C), and another year to go to BrickOS.

then change as, and if, needed.  (Though pictures of the Legway make haring
off towards another ROM *mighty* tempting!)

Thanks.  But still...  there's no need to rush.

2. If I've interpreted correctly, some of the different ROMs require
different languages.  I've seen references to C, Pascal and Java.  Are any
of these ROM dependent, or can they be used with the default ROM?

NQC works with the standard firmware.  Which makes it easy to use.  BrickOS
requires much more work to get it going.

3. Any "gotchas" I need to be aware of?  Anything to make sure I get, or
make sure I avoid?  Anything that might be too advanced to bother with until
I get familiar with things?

Just take your time.  Don't try to re-invent the wheel (or Legway) in your
first weekend.  You can get easily frustrated by trying something too
difficult as a first project.

4. How much electronics to I actually need to know?  I'm not strong there,
though I've read the absolute basics and have a very basic familiarity with
the concepts.  I've seen some notes go by on the list from folks who seem to
have built their own devices, and I'm probably not going to be able to do
that sort of thing.

You need to know how to plug something in.  The electronics in the RIS are
about as complex as plugging in a light.

Of course, if you want to build your own cool sensors, go for it.  I have
some electronics background, so I COULD do that, but instead I just go to
Hi-Technic and get sensors from them!  Then, I can spend more time build robots.

5. I've seen some of the links on the list about where to purchase for
something less than retail cost, and I've found a link on the Lego site
which has the RIS 2.0, Vision Command and Ultimate Builders Set bundled for
$249.00 and free shipping.  On the surface, this sounds like a good deal,
but how useful are those other two items.

The UBS has some cool parts (another motor?).  I don't have much use for the
VC, besides making movies of my robots to post on the web.  You can do other
things, like making your robot respond to the camera, but I don't want to
hook my robot to my PC.

However, I'd say if you don't have any (or many) parts, the $249 is not a
bad deal.

Steve