 Robotics / 19138
Re: Development enviroment...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:01:45 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Steve Baker) writes:

Dunno much about leJOS - unless you are a Java fanatic, I don't really see
the point - it's the worst of both worlds - a slow, interpreted language
without the benefits of NQC's ease of use or broad range of users.

I think you are much too negative there,
leJOS is just a different tradeoff in the middle between
NQC/LEGO firmware and brickOS (formerly legOS):

- It's faster than NQC/firmware but slower than brickOS
  (I've not measured it, but a factor of 10 in both direction
   might be about it)
- It's a full programming language
  (the LEGO firmware is very restricted there)
- It's a nice and safe language that won't crash the RCX
  (unlike C/C++) but tells you what went wrong with an exception.
- I bet it's still easier to set up and use than brickOS
  (how much I don't know, it's been a long time since I tried legOS).

So unless you want to squeeze out the last bit of speed
for winning a competition, or of memory for mapping your flat,
I think leJOS is an attractive step up from NQC.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/