 Robotics / 19132
19131  |  19133
Subject:
RC Motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:33:10 GMT

A couple people have pointed out how the new motors on the RC Buggy seem to be very fast.  So with the Workshop 3D challenge coming up, I wanted to see how they compare to the Mindstorms mini-motors.

To test them, I started by hooking a rotation sensor directly to them to see how far they would run in 1 second.  The RC buggy motor was about 3 times faster (farther) than the regular motor.

Next, I wanted to compare the torque.  I wasn't looking for exact readings, I just wanted to compare the two.  So, I geared down the RC Buggy motor, so they ran at about the same speed.  Then, I took two wagon/motorcycle wheels from the Mindstorm kit and attached them to the axle.  I ran three tests, first with the motors going forward for 2 seconds.  Then, I had the motor stopped for a second, and run for a second.  And finally, I ran it reverse for a second, and forward for a second.

For each of these tests, I measured the distance (rotations) for the final second.

The results: the RC Buggy motor did not perform as well as the mini motor.  While they returned about the same readings for the first test (forward 2 seconds) the speed of the RC motor dropped off quite a bit for the other two, while the mini motor only dropped a small amount.

I admit, this isn't a complete test for the motors, but it was enough to convince me that the good old mini-motors are the best way to go.

Steve