 Robotics / 1912
RE: legOS and alternate operating systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:47:42 GMT

I don't know what language was used, but I'd guess it was object oriented.
Unlike older languages that only compile the routines that are actually
used, object oriented compiles everything.  That's why a program written in
C++ is up to 100 times as large as the same C version.

-----Original Message-----
From: MwalimuB@aol.com [SMTP:MwalimuB@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 1998 8:39 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: legOS and alternate operating systems

Why is the software associated with development so big?  70 megabytes for
the
legOs development system?  I think there is something fundamental I'm
missing
here.

The RCX is an H8, an 8 bit micro, certainly no more complicated than a
68HC11.
Even the more complicated development packages are under 1 megabyte.  Is a
lot
of the program GUI?  It might be I'm spoiled by DOS.  I just don't see why
it's so big.

chris