 Robotics / 18889
Re: Fresh New Robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:24:05 GMT

"Rob Stehlik" <robbby31@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:H1voDK.2DD@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.robotics, Robert Fay writes:

"Rob Stehlik" <robbby31@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:H1s1rp.But@lugnet.com...
Hello everyone,

I have just added five new robots to my website. This includes bridge
building robots, another turtle robot, an articulated steering 4x4, and • more.
http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~stehlik/robots.html
Have a look, and as always comments are welcome!

Rob

This is some very interesting work. The Crevasse Crosser interests me the
most. I was trying to guess what you would do to accomplish this task. I
envisioned a ball rolling across a concave trough. Your solution is very
clever. I am not sure I understand the mechanism to recapture the bridge.
You are doing some great work with the pneumatics. Thanks for sharing • your
work and your excellent presentation.

Hello Bob,
I'm glad the crevasse crosser has piqued your interest. I find it kind of
surprising that the robot that worked the absolute worst seemed to draw • the
most attention. Maybe its the pneumatics that people are interested in. I
used them because they are much stronger than motors. When lifting the
bridge, the robot needed a lot of force to raise its forks. So let me try
and explain how it works... The bridge is a run of the mill scissor • linkage.
Nothing too special there. It has two projecting beams on the bottom to • keep
it centered in the gap. With its forks lowered, the robot drives forward,
and the furthest link on the bridge (the end) slides over the forks. As • the
robot raises the forks, the tendency would be fork the bridge just to slip
off. But there is a beam on the robot that catches the end link on the
bridge, and forces the linkage to retract as it is lifted. Maybe thats • still
not clear enough... Let me try and explain it a different way. There are • two
links at the end of the bridge. The robot lifts one of them with the forks
(actually a rotary motion) which the other link is forced to move up in a
straight line by means of the overhanging beam on the robot. When one link
rotates and the other doesn't, this causes the linkage to retract. I hope
that makes more sense. If only I had a video camera... Oh well, the • crevasse
crosser has since been disassembled and sorted.
Rob

http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~stehlik/

Rob,
   Thanks for the additional information. The rotary motion of the forks
definitely fooled me. I always enjoy your innovative designs. You packed a
lot of action into a very small space. Some day you will be able to design
the parts to suit the project. I bet you will dazzle a few minds then.

Bob