 Robotics / 18888
Re: Fresh New Robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:48:56 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Robert Fay writes:

"Rob Stehlik" <robbby31@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:H1s1rp.But@lugnet.com...
Hello everyone,

I have just added five new robots to my website. This includes bridge
building robots, another turtle robot, an articulated steering 4x4, and • more.
http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~stehlik/robots.html
Have a look, and as always comments are welcome!

Rob

This is some very interesting work. The Crevasse Crosser interests me the
most. I was trying to guess what you would do to accomplish this task. I
envisioned a ball rolling across a concave trough. Your solution is very
clever. I am not sure I understand the mechanism to recapture the bridge.
You are doing some great work with the pneumatics. Thanks for sharing your
work and your excellent presentation.

Hello Bob,
I'm glad the crevasse crosser has piqued your interest. I find it kind of
surprising that the robot that worked the absolute worst seemed to draw the
most attention. Maybe its the pneumatics that people are interested in. I
used them because they are much stronger than motors. When lifting the
bridge, the robot needed a lot of force to raise its forks. So let me try
and explain how it works... The bridge is a run of the mill scissor linkage.
Nothing too special there. It has two projecting beams on the bottom to keep
it centered in the gap. With its forks lowered, the robot drives forward,
and the furthest link on the bridge (the end) slides over the forks. As the
robot raises the forks, the tendency would be fork the bridge just to slip
off. But there is a beam on the robot that catches the end link on the
bridge, and forces the linkage to retract as it is lifted. Maybe thats still
not clear enough... Let me try and explain it a different way. There are two
links at the end of the bridge. The robot lifts one of them with the forks
(actually a rotary motion) which the other link is forced to move up in a
straight line by means of the overhanging beam on the robot. When one link
rotates and the other doesn't, this causes the linkage to retract. I hope
that makes more sense. If only I had a video camera... Oh well, the crevasse
crosser has since been disassembled and sorted.
Rob

http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~stehlik/