 Robotics / 1887
    Lego Mindstorms on Mac using Virtual PC? —Scott Cressler
   I'm new to this list, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. Has anyone managed to get the Lego Mindstorms software/hardware to work on a Mac using Virtual PC? It seems this should be possible, but the cables I currently have to convert (...) (26 years ago, 29-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Mindstorms on Mac using Virtual PC? —Dave Baum
   It won't work - even with a perfect cable. Mindstorms uses the RTS/CTS handshaking in an unorthodox manner. The fact that the Mac is RS-422 (not RS-232) means that the serial port emulation cannot be complete. While VPC works for most cases, it will (...) (26 years ago, 30-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Mindstorms on Mac using Virtual PC? —Scott Cressler
   Are you sure of this? This will bum me out, but I suppose it would save me some frustration trying to get it to work. :-( So, how does the "Robolab" software compare to the Mindstorms software? $90 is quite a bit after you've bought the Mindstorms (...) (26 years ago, 31-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Mindstorms on Mac using Virtual PC? —Dave Baum
     (...) Yep, I'm sure. Lots of people have tried this (including myself) and always with the same result (software runs, but communication with IR tower fails). (...) Robolab is a lot better. I assume Mindstorms appeals more to younger children (a (...) (26 years ago, 31-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Mindstorms on Mac using Virtual PC? —Scott Cressler
   Thanks for the info! I've been able to use the RCX from the Mac using NQC, it works great! Since I'm a programmer, the C-like syntax and command line interface are just fine. But, since it doesn't cost much, I may investigate the Robolab software (...) (26 years ago, 2-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)