 Robotics / 1958
Re: Lego Mindstorms on Mac using Virtual PC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 08:05:59 GMT

In article <368B16E8.61B4F48B@mindspring.com>, lego-robotics@crynwr.com
(Scott Cressler) wrote:

Are you sure of this?  This will bum me out, but I suppose it would save me
some frustration trying to get it to work.  :-(

Yep, I'm sure.  Lots of people have tried this (including myself) and
always with the same result (software runs, but communication with IR
tower fails).

So, how does the "Robolab" software compare to the Mindstorms software?  $90
is quite a bit after you've bought the Mindstorms kit....

Robolab is a lot better.  I assume Mindstorms appeals more to younger
children (a little flashier), although Robolab is also aimed at children
(grade school education to be specific).

Robolab is more powerful than Mindstorms.  You can have nested loops,
variables, etc.

And, what is NQC?

NQC is "Not Quite C".  Its actually little more than a C preprocessor,
flow control contstructs, and RCX primitives all in a C style syntax.  I
find programming with a textual language much faster than visual stuff
(Mindstorms, Robolab, etc).  If you're familiar with C, you should give
NQC a try.  You can download it from
http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/lego/nqc/index.html

Dave

Scott

Dave Baum wrote:

It won't work - even with a perfect cable.  Mindstorms uses the RTS/CTS
handshaking in an unorthodox manner.  The fact that the Mac is RS-422 (not
RS-232) means that the serial port emulation cannot be complete.  While
VPC works for most cases, it will not work with Mindstorms.  In theory,
one could hack Mindstorms RIS (actually spirit.ocx) not to use
handshaking, or hack VPC to spoof the serial port differently, but noody
has done anything like that.

Robolab and NQC are currently the two options for using a Mac with the RCX.

Dave

In article <36894A46.BFF80F17@mindspring.com>, lego-robotics@crynwr.com
(Scott Cressler) wrote:

I'm new to this list, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

Has anyone managed to get the Lego Mindstorms software/hardware to work
on a Mac using Virtual PC?  It seems this should be possible, but the
cables I currently have to convert from the 8-pin din connector (needed
to connect to the Mac's serial port) to the 9-pin serial connector
(needed by the Mindstorms cable to the IR tower) don't work.  One of the
cables was included with the Palm Pilot cradle and the other was an
Apple Printer cable I got at Fry's (MII-9808).  I've gotten the software
to run (slowly) and have even (with the Palm Pilot cable) gotten a green
light to appear on the IR tower.  With the Apple cable, I don't even get
the green light.  In both cases, it gets to the point in Setup 2 where
it wants to download the firmware to the brick and shifts to a
"Troubleshooter" page because it says it can't find the IR transmitter.

I've also used the Mindstorms on someone else's Win 95 machine, and it
works fine.

It seems doing this on the Mac using Virtual PC should be possible, as
long as the Virtual PC software is transferring through the Mac's serial
port from the Mindstorms software correctly (which it may be doing as of
version 2.0 which had a "non-modem device" choice on the config of the
COM1 and 2 ports) and as long as I have a cable correctly converting
from the 8-pin to the 9-pin.  The latter part is where I'm stuck now.
If I was going to build my own cable, I don't know what pins to connect
to what pins.  I'm trying to get  the info on the serial connection
through Virtual PC from the Connectix people.

I have a catalog from Pitsco/Dacta showing a $25 item which is the IR
tower and "PC and Mac cables".  Do you think this cable would work?  The
RCX brick pictured to work with this "Amusement Park" kit seems to be
the same as the one in the Mindstorms kit.

I'm really interested in getting this to work, rather than buying a PC!
;-(

Thanks for any pointers or help,

Happy New Year,

Scott Cressler