 Robotics / 18868
Re: Where to buy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 23:37:37 GMT

Mauricio Rodriguez wrote:
Hi everybuddy!
I'm new in this lego hobbie, I'm making some robots,
and I saw all interesting stuff you made, but, I need
some other parts, my question is, where do you buy all
the stuff you need, I mean, did you buy another kits,
or you buy separately, or where did you get all, for
example, another motors, another RCX, because in Lego
Shop, I can get only if I buy another RIS, I dont know
if its better this, buy a new one, or there is a place
where you get this by one piece.

I guess it really depends on what kinds of new parts you
want.

Do you find yourself just generally short of parts?  Beams, axles, gears, etc?

    If so, then the cheapest way to get a 'reasonable' mix of parts is
    to buy more Mindstorms sets - not necessarily an RIS.  I have
    just one RIS and THREE of the cheaper RDS sets!  Look for special
    offers in stores.

Are you looking for some additional *specific* parts?

    For single, high cost items like sensors and motors, you can look at
    the Lego web site, and Brickbay (as others have suggested) to find the
    best prices.

Are you looking for something *obscure*?

    Things like large turntables, chains, temperature sensors, etc
    you might like to try the www.pitsco-legodacta.com site.  They are there
    to sell to schools and colleges - but they'll also sell to individuals.
    Their prices are a little higher - but for these kinds of part, they are
    the best source.

Be an opportunistic buyer.

    Very often you find older lego sets in dusty, beat-up boxes being sold
    of insanely cheaply by some stores.  When you see these, snap them up
    immediately.  There have been cases where (for example) the old ZNAPS
    sets were sold for just a couple of dollars each - yet they contained
    Mindstorms motors that normally retail at $14.

If all you have is a basic Mindstorms set then I would advise buying:

   1) A third motor.  It takes two motors to have your robot drive
      around the room - having a third motor let's it also do something
      *interesting*.

   2) One or two rotation sensors.  You soon find that your robot needs
      to know how far or how fast it's moving.

   3) A Lego Remote controller.  This is invaluable for debugging the
      mechanics of your robot before you get into the programming of it.
      Also as an 'emergency stop' when your robot has decided to murder
      the cat.

   4) A couple of large turntables...these are great for building robot
      arms and such.

Beyond that "more" is good.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org