 Robotics / 18869
RE: FLL Team Numbers -- was: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:20:22 GMT

Someone asked where I got my figure of 20,000 teams last year.  Well, actually I
got it from a brain spasm (I was thinking 2000).  But the statistics for last
year's FIRST LEGO League (not to mention all the schools who do Mindstorms, but
not FLL) from the FLL site are:

20,000 children participated
45 U.S. states participated
20 U.S. state tournaments
5 U.S. states hosted preliminary events
International involvement: Europe, Asia, Australia

For some reason, when I wrote that I was thinking there were closer to 2000
teams last year - but I think that's what they're hoping for this year.  I know
there are more teams around here.  As far as the number of tournaments rising --
Texas, which didn't have any state tournaments last year, has a state tournament
in Houston in December and in Dallas in January.  Plus, there is the BEST and
FLL Robotics Invitation in Houston on October 18th as part of the World Space
Congress.

All I know is, this is our first year; we have 18 students and two teams, and
we've had to keep the class closed because we could easily have those numbers
really jump higher if we opened the class.  We have turned away several
students.  We were going to add another class for those who just wanted to build
robots and not compete or do homework, and we had a waiting list of 6-10 kids
for that class without even advertising (but we decided it would not have been a
wise expenditure of our time.)

Liz Bilbro

Teacher/Coach
CyberStorm Robotics Class and FIRST LEGO League Teams
Sports for the Mind for Lubbock Homeschoolers
www.cyberstorm.us