 Robotics / 18547
18546  |  18548
Subject:
intro and question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:58:15 GMT

Hello everyone!

I have been semi-lurking on the list for a few months, with the occasional
post.  I have only recently gotten into Mindstorms and wanted to ask about
moving on to another language to program the RCX with.  I have no
programming skills whatsoever so I am requesting the sage advice of the
list on which direction I should go.

I have done a bit of research and was able to find a demo version of
ROBOLAB.  This version works only with a serial IR and I have the USB
version.  Plus I really didn't think the interface was all that great so I
deleted it.

So now I am considering purchasing either "Dave Baum's Definitive Guide to
LEGO Mindstorms" to learn NCQ or "Core LEGO MINDSTORMS Programming: Unleash
the Power of the Java Platform" by Brian Bagnall to learn JAVA.   I just
ran a quick search and found this interesting article called
"Ada/Mindstorms 3.0: A Computational Environment for  Introductory Robotics
and Programming" (found at
http://www.faginfamily.net/barry/Papers/IEEERA.htm).  In this article the
author advises that NQC is difficult for the novice programmer to learn and
use.

So now I am concerned about going the NQC route.  Maybe I should try this
Ada/Mindstorms software.  Any thoughts?  Also what is the relationship
between RcxCC and NQC? Thanks.

Laura