 Robotics / 18318
RE: Navigation using landmarks (Was: Re: lasers and RCX)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:58:35 GMT

A Killough platform may have 3 motors, but it operates in a X-Y coordinate
plane, not X-Y-Z.

The camera is looking for pattern shifts horizontally or vertically, not
radially within it's field of vision.

As long as the axis of the spin is not passing through the field of vision of
the optic sensor, bearings can probably be calculated without too much trouble.

Rethinking the clearance issue... perhaps a Lego magnifying glass could help.
The focal points seem to be around an inch from the lense (or so).

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Baker [mailto:sjbaker1@airmail.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 6:08 AM
To: Mike Payson
Cc: Rob Limbaugh; lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Navigation using landmarks (Was: Re: lasers and RCX)

Mike Payson wrote:
Just use the bottom half of the mouse, trimmed as much as possible, as a
skid plate. It will need to be mounted to allow vertical movement, but
it should work alright. This wouldn't solve the spin issue, but the
clearance shouldn't be a problem. A nice side benefit is that this
simplifies construction since you don't need to worry about mounting the
optics, etc..

Yes - I was thinking of some kind of spring-loaded arm pressing the mouse's
underside against the ground.