 Robotics / 18292
Re: IR Tower and USB-Serial adapter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:31:33 GMT

The USB tower gets its power from the USB port.  It has no battery, AND it
stay "alive"
all the time (unlike the old serial tower that timed out to save battery
life).  The only problems
I've read about in the sdk package about using the USB tower on a notebook
is notebook battery
consumption when the range is set to medium or far.  Of course this is not
the case if your
notebook is connected to an outside power source.

It is unfortunate about the shipping charges.  I wish you the best...

-Rob
www.msltc.org

"Mauro Vianna" <mauro_vianna@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Unfortunatelly I can't buy that at Brazil. I want to buy a RIS 2.0 when
possible but if I buy it here it would cost over US$300!
I prefer to buy the whole set than individual pieces. It is more cost
effective.

Meanwhile I'm using my desktop computer. But since I usually don't run the
robot in the same place the desktop is, using the notebook would allow me • to
correct programs faster...

By the way, does the USB tower needs a 9V battery?
If it could use the USB port as supply it could be on all the time. That
would be useful for applications where the RCX needs to talk with a PC all
the time.

tks,
Mauro Vianna

"Rob Hendrix" <rmhendrix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I solved that problem before I encountered it altogether.  I just bought • the
usb IR tower from Lego Dacta www.pldstore.com
and the RIS 2.0 upgrade kit from Lego S@H.

cost me about $40 US, but that USB/Serial adapter was twice that when I • went
looking for one...

-Rob

"Mauro Vianna" <mauro_vianna@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi, all

I have a problem trying to connect a serial IR tower to my notebook. • The
notebook has no serial port, so I'm using an USB-serial adapter. • Although
this adapter worked for another device, it seens it is not working • properly
with the IR tower.
The funny part is that the IR tower green LED is on as if it was • working.
but I can't detect the Brick using Brickcc. :(

Did anybody faced (and solved) this problem?

Thanks,
Mauro Vianna