 Robotics / 18289
    Re: IR Tower and USB-Serial adapter —Rob Hendrix
   I solved that problem before I encountered it altogether. I just bought the usb IR tower from Lego Dacta www.pldstore.com and the RIS 2.0 upgrade kit from Lego S@H. cost me about $40 US, but that USB/Serial adapter was twice that when I went looking (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: IR Tower and USB-Serial adapter —Mauro Vianna
   Unfortunatelly I can't buy that at Brazil. I want to buy a RIS 2.0 when possible but if I buy it here it would cost over US$300! I prefer to buy the whole set than individual pieces. It is more cost effective. Meanwhile I'm using my desktop (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: IR Tower and USB-Serial adapter —Rob Hendrix
     The USB tower gets its power from the USB port. It has no battery, AND it stay "alive" all the time (unlike the old serial tower that timed out to save battery life). The only problems I've read about in the sdk package about using the USB tower on (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: IR Tower and USB-Serial adapter —Rob Limbaugh
   Mauro, PCMCIA serial port cards are available (just search the net for them). Here is one such card that has two serial ports: (URL) those cards aren't too cheap but old 14.4/28.8kbps PCMCIA modems are, perhaps making your own will suffice: (URL) (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)