 Robotics / 18283
RE: optical mouse chips as vision sensors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 23:41:29 GMT

This whole thread just caused an interesting thought to pop into my head,
although I suspect it would only apply to cases where LegOS were being used.

No, pbForth can easily read arbitrary chars coming in on the IR prot, we'd
just need to switch the RCX to 1200 baud...

If the mouse serial port output (transmit line) were to be connected to a
LMC555 (running at 38kHz) driving a IR LED, then the 1200 bps serial data
from the mouse might be used directly by the RCX without tieing up a sensor
port.

(This always presumes you have the option in LegOS to adjust the baud rate
down to 1200 and that the mouse will run as a serial mouse.)

John,

If you send me a modified mouse, I'll do the other Forth stuff needed to get
this working in a weekend.

Cheers, Ralph