 Robotics / 18254
Re: Control a microScout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:00:44 GMT

jujorie wrote:

How can I use a MicroScout as a third motor on my RCX, I own a RIS 1.5 and a
DDK or Can I control the MicroScout from the IR Tower?

Well, the RIS 2.0 tower can drive the microscout - but not the RIS 1.5 tower.

The microscout uses something called 'VLL' (Visible Light Link) - which is
kinda like the IR commands that you send to your RCX - but they are sent in
the visible wavelengths of light rather than in the infra-red.

So, the RCX can't talk to it directly - although the 'Scout' controller
that comes in the RDS set can.  The IR tower that comes with RIS 1.5 is *only*
InfraRed - but the newer USB-port tower that comes with RIS 2.0 has a visible
light output as well as the IR LED.

I guess you could *maybe* kludge together a link by doing something like flashing
the LED on a light sensor attached to the RCX - but there isn't any direct
software support for that AFAIK.

Actually, even when you have all that, the Microscout makes a pretty
useless motor.  Since all you can do is transmit the same commands as
it's ordinary front panel controls, you can only tell it to start running
for a while - then it'll just stop all by itself without you telling it
to.  Then there is all that beeping and squawking - which drives me nuts.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net